Recently, I was asked if FileMaker was available in “the cloud”. The answer is Yes! Many of our clients take advantage of the versatility, simplicity, and cost savings of running their FileMaker database in the cloud.
It’s called FileMaker database hosting. Cimbura.com provides hassle free FileMaker hosting of your database for around $50 per month depending on how many files are hosted, etc.
First, there are two disadvantages to hosting in the cloud:
1. Accessibility – You need an active internet connection to access your data. This one isn’t so bad. You need an active internet connection today to do nearly anything on your computer.
2. Speed. – Your database may run slower over the internet than one hosted internally in your office due to the internet connection speed and the design of your particular solution. We can, however, work on your database to optimize it for cloud based hosting.
On the other hand, there are many advantages to hosting in the cloud:
1. Accessibility – You can access your database anywhere in the world you have an internet connection.
2. Cost Savings – You can easily budget the monthly fixed fee. Maintaining your own onsite server requires good hardware ($1500+), FileMaker Server software ($1000), and regular operating system maintenance and support ($?).
3. Automatic Backup – You’re assured your FileMaker database is always secure and backed up without any worry.
4. Up Time – Your FileMaker database is guaranteed available 99.9% of the time.
5. Connectability – With your database in the cloud, you can connect it to the web (with custom web site design) and mobile devices (with FileMaker Go on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch).
Your return on investment shows quickly. For example, if your hosting is $50/month it would take more than 4 years just to make back your initial investment in hardware and software!
To sum up this service: We can host your FileMaker database files and web site on a remote server in a secure data center with redundant, high-speed internet connections and backup power generators so that your data will automatically be backed up to an off-site location and always be accessible over the internet from anywhere in the world.
If you’re interested in hosting your FileMaker database in the cloud, we can evaluate your solution and see if it’s a good candidate for hosting. Some databases may need some tweaks to make the performance acceptable. Contact us here to get started.